A group of Idaho inmates’ lawsuit blaming eight brewers for causing their lives of crime tops our survey of the top 10 most ridiculous lawsuits of 2013
We compiled the “Top 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013” from votes cast throughout the year in our monthly “Most Ridiculous Lawsuit” polls.
Without further adieu, we present the “Top 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013”:
1. Inmates’ suit blames a life of crime on beer companies.
2. Ohio teacher claims fear of children in suit against district.
3. Student kicked off school track team for absences, Dad sues county for $40 million.
4. Woman suing over “severe and permanent injuries” still able to complete half-marathon.
5. Lawsuit claims “footlong” sandwiches come up short.
6. Grown man sues parents for their “indifference” to his problems.
7. Customer sues restaurant over hostess’ rude comment.
8. Grad student who received free tuition sues school over grade.
9. Two years to toss suit from robber who sued shop owner.
10. Man sues Apple for his porn addiction.
“Whether cringe-worthy or laugh-out-loud ridiculous, ask yourself: ‘Is this really what we want our legal system to look like?’” said Lisa A. Rickard, President of the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform. “Abusive lawsuits both big and small take a collective toll on our society and our economy. We should resolve to make 2014 a year where lawsuits are a last resort, not a first reaction.”
More information on these cases and the complete poll results are available here.